(This is the schedule for 2021, left up for now for your consideration. The ’22 schedule is being developed now.)
Welcome to the Connecticut Board of Volleyball Officials (CBVO). The CBVO is the training and assigning board for high schools in the Litchfield, Hartford, Tolland, and part of New Haven counties. Before beginning the process of applying for membership, please read the following information.
Training Dates (2021):
Trainee Overview & Orientation
Sun. July 11 via Zoom, time TBA
Trainees will be informed on procedures and practices such as: Insurance, purchasing an official CBVO shirt, using the Arbiter system to submit your availability to our schedulers, getting paid, and paying assigner fees. This session is an overview of officiating high school sports. It is important that prospective officials attend this session prior to attending the CBVO Volleyball Officiating classes.
Classroom Sessions – Times are from 6:30 – 8:30pm
All new officials must attend five classroom and four on-court training sessions. The first three classroom session will be zoom meetings; the final two classroom sessions will/may be at a facility where we can also access a gym, as permitted by any COVID-19 restrictions. The dates and times are:
Mon. July 12*
Tues. July 13*
Thurs. July 15*
Mon. July 19
Tues. July 20
*sessions conducted via Zoom
On-court Sessions – Times are from 6:30 – 9:30pm
On-court will be scheduled as one evening session per official per week, but we will make every effort to accommodate those with scheduling difficulties. Typically, new trainees will be scheduled on Tuesdays and 2nd and 3rd year officials will be scheduled on Mondays.
Mon. July 26
Tues. July 27
Mon. Aug. 2
Tues. Aug. 3
Mon. Aug. 9
Mon. Aug. 16
Tues. Aug. 17
Two Mandatory Meetings: The CT Board of Volleyball Officials has two mandatory meetings per year. These dates for 2021 are:
Tues. Aug. 24 – 6:30 pm – Pre-season Rules Interpretation meeting
Sun. Nov 21 – Time- TBA – End-of-season meeting
- A one-time training fee of $110 is required from trainees. This covers training expenses and a background check through the CIAC.
- Yearly CBVO membership dues are $100.
- Most volleyball matches are played on weekdays, with some on Saturday. Weekday matches usually begin at 4pm, with some matches starting later. Officials need to arrive at the gym no later than one half hour before the match, so if you cannot get to school gyms by 3:30 (allow for driving time) you may not get scheduled for many matches.
- Officials are required to buy their own uniforms and equipment.
- Trainees are required to score 80% or better on an open book test to become CBVO officials. (Rules and case books are provided as part of yearly dues).
- Typically, officials’ pay ranges from around $70 for a freshman match, to around $140 for a JV & varsity doubleheader.
- Second and third year officials are required to attend two classroom and two on-court training sessions in the summer.
The CBVO looks forward to helping all interested parties become volleyball officials. Feel free to contact our training coordinator, Chris Kelly, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to answer any questions, or click on the links below to apply for membership.
- Fill out the application here:
- Complete a background check authorization