CIAC Schools – Federation Rules
Scrimmages – $65.00 per official, maximum of 5 sets or 2 hours
VARSITY (3 out of 5) AND JUNIOR VARSITY (2 out of 3) VARSITY MATCH – 3 out of 5
R1 $140.66 R1 $85.27
R2 $128.42 R2 $76.89
ONE OFFICIAL $204.86 ONE OFFICIAL $123.71
Private School Fees – NCAA Rules
VARSITY MATCH – 3 out of 5
ONE OFFICIAL $123.71
Freshman or Junior Varsity Match – 3 out of 5
ONE OFFICIAL $110.00
This is a reminder that the pre-season meeting is at the CIAC lower level at 6pm on March 8th. Your $10 dues are due at this time. A $10 fine is also due if you are not attending the meeting. Please mail both to Ruth Hewston, 6 Haller Place, Yalesville, CT 06492.
See you at the meeting
Welcome to the Connecticut Board of Volleyball Officials. CBVO is the training and assigning board for high schools in the Litchfield, Hartford and Tolland counties. To begin the process of applying for membership, we want to be clear on the requirements and expectations and help you through the process.
- Fill out the application here:
- Complete a background check authorization
- Pay new member fees ($110)
- Send background check authorization and check (and application if applicable) to:
52 Mitchell Drive
East Hartford, CT 06118
Once you are a accepted, you must:
- Complete a series of classes in July/August concerning rules and procedures
July 21 Day 1: Basics of volleyball, Officials’ responsibilities
July 23 Day 2: Teams, Rosters, Equipment, Serving
July 28 Day 3: Play, Subs, Conduct
July 30 Day 4: Protocol, Officials Manual, Review old test questions
- We will conduct four Rules-based sessions, via Zoom. The topics and dates are listed below. There will be additional mechanics-based sessions, which will be conducted in-person, if permissible. If in-person sessions are not possible, additional Zoom sessions may be conducted for mechanics review.
- Pass a floor exam
- Purchase uniform and equipment
- Attend an interpretation meeting (end of Aug)
- Attend an end of the year meeting (Nov)
- Pay assigner fees (8%)
We have this note from Steve Webster. Steve spoke for Bill when Bill was inducted into the CT Women’s Volleyball Hall of Fame in 2014.
I’m sorry to report the passing of Bill McCaffrey, who served NERVA and USAV in a host of capacities – officials chair, commissioner, rating team, and referee – for many decades. I know that many of you never knew Bill or saw him only at the tail end of his career, but he was a fine referee and a gentleman’s gentleman. He had tremendous love and respect for the game and could always be counted upon to set the bar for decorum and professionalism.
Bill had, sadly, been suffering from ALS for many years. I last saw Bill in 2014 when he was inducted into the Connecticut Women’s Volleyball Hall of Fame (his bio is at http://www.ctvballhall.org/2014/09/01/mccaffrey/).
Bill’s obituary can be found at: https://www.courant.com/obituaries/hc-obituary-william-s-mccaffrey-20191209-story.html.
The region and the referee cadre are better off for Bill’s contributions. I, for one, miss his advice, counsel, and support.